Retail salespeople sell items to customers in a store such as clothes, furniture, cars, or home items.
• Greets people when they walk in the store.
• Talks to people to help them find what they want.
• Answers questions about items in the store.
• "Rings up" the total price of the items.
• Calls other stores to find an item.
• Keeps the sales area neat and clean.
Where and When:
• Retail salespeople work in stores in a mall or in stores that sell special items like cars, or appliances such as stoves, refridgerators, or farm supplies. They can work at a game store, home store, clothes store, or electronics store.
• They work when the store is open for customers. This means during the day, nights, and weekends. Different stores are open different hours. Salespeople are very busy during the holidays between Thanksgiving and January.
What or Who They Work With:
They work with these tools:
• Bar Code Scanner
• Cash Registers
• Credit Card Reader
• Computer Software for writing
• Computer Software programs for spreadsheets
Education and Training:
Most people in this job have a high school diploma. Some people in high school may work as a retail sales person part time. A college degree may be needed to be a manager in large stores or companies.
- Customer Service Representative
- Sales representative
- Insurance Sales Agent
- Real Estate Sales Agent
Related School Subjects: