There are 5 branches of the U.S. Military. The oldest and the biggest is the United States Army. It protects and defends by using ground troops, tanks, helicopters and other weapons. The Air Force is the youngest military service and it uses airplanes and space to defend and protect. The Navy and the Coast Guard use ships, boats, and carriers, and the Marine Corps works closely with the Navy and their main job is to land and control beaches to allow for other branches to work. To join any branch of the military, you must agree to serve for a certain number of years (it can be as many as eight years). There are many different jobs you can do in the military as an officer, but officers are the leaders and managers of the military.
• Their duties are very different because each one can have a different job in the military, but they spend most of their time managing and leading other military members.• Write reports and use many different types of equipment to communicate.• Maintain a certain level of discipline and an honor code among the people that work for them.• Lead others on exercises that help them train to be better military members.• Create plans to manage resources like weapons, transportation vehicles, and even people.• They work with different types of weapons and other technology.• They are responsible for a specific group of military members that report to them and who take their orders from them. They are responsible for their safety.• There can be tedious tasks involved.
Where and When:
• Military Officers work in many different places, under many different conditions. While forty-hour weeks are common, many officers must work odd, long hours.
• There are many benefits to help Military Officers and their families, such as travel, housing, medical care, education benefits, and support. This helps families while the Military Officer is in the service.
What or Who They Work With:
• Military Officers work with many different people, at all different levels.
• Must be capable of using weapons, computer technology, and communications equipment.
• They must have the skills they need to perform a certain job.
Education and Training:
There are three ways to become a Military Officer.
• You can enlist and then apply for a special school called Officer’s Candidate School
• You can join ROTC at your college or university,
• You can work hard in high school and go to a special college called a “service academy.” There are many tests you must pass in order to become a military officer. Also, people that want to be an officer must go through basic training, which is an eleven-week (typically) program that helps to make people strong and build character. You need to be a United States citizen, have no criminal record, and pass a medical physical.
· Aerospace Engineer
· Computer Programmer
· Systems Engineer
· Inventory Manager
Related School Subjects:
• P.E. and Health
CAPTAIN CAT by Syd Hoff
YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO BE IN THE FIRST SUBMARING! by David Salariya, David Antram, Ian Graham
WORLD WAR II FOR KIDS: A HISTORY WITH 21 ACTIVITIES by Richard Panchyk