Chefs and cooks make food in restaurants, hotels, and other places. A chef is a cook who has more training, skill, or experience. Many chefs are famous for creating new recipes and writing new cookbooks.
• Plans and cooks healthy meals.
• Carves meats
• Makes decorations with food.
• Orders supplies and food.
• Trains cooks and workers in cooking.
Where and When:
• Chefs may work in restaurants, hospitals, school cafeterias, and factory cafeterias.
• Chefs work in kitchens that can be modern and air conditioned, or small and hot.
• Chefs stand for long periods of time.
• Chefs may work at all times of the day, mornings, late nights, holidays, and weekends.
• Some work at people's homes.
What or Who They Work With:
• Graters & choppers
• Meat Thermometers
• Measuring cups and spoons
• Computers to order food
• Books to look up recipes
• Pots and Pans
• Work with other cooks, restaurant managers, servers, patrons (people that eat at the restaurant).
• Some chefs work for one person at the person's home.
Education and Training:
• Many have a high school diploma.
• Some have an associate's degree (2 years).
• Some have less than a high school diploma.
• Many good chefs must have a lot of training from cooking schools.
- Pastry Chef
Related School Subjects:
• Food Science
• Foods and Nutrition
- Cooking Rocks! Rachael Ray 30-minute meals for Kids by Rachael Ray
- Kids' Fun and Healthy Cookbook by Nicola Graimes
- New Junior Cookbook (Better Homes & Gardens Cooking) by: Jennifer Darling
- Betty Crocker's Kids Cook! by Betty Crocker
- Kitchen for Kids: 100 Amazing Recipes Your Children Can Really Make by Jennifer Low
- The Everything Cooking for Kids Cookbook (Everything Series) by Ronni Litz Julien
- Dragons Don't Cook Pizza (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #24) by Debbie Dadey, Marcia T. Jones, and John Steven Gurney
- Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12) by Debbie Dadey and Marcia T. Jones
- Career Town: Nutrition Matters
- Career Town: Lemonade Stand
- Kitchen Chemistry PBS Kids Zoom
- USDA Kids page Ages 6-11
- Food Network: Cooking for Kids
- PBS Kids Maya and Miguel Cooking with Abuela
- PBS Kids Arthur Lunch O Matic
- PBS Kids Sid the Science Kid Kitchen Magician
- Bake the Cake with Peg and Cat PBS Kids