- Career Development Strategies for Students Living in Poverty
Children living in poverty often grow up with limited exposure to the community outside of their own neighborhood, therefore reducing their awareness of a broad spectrum of careers. In career development, it is crucial for children to gain a better understanding of abstract concepts related to their future. This session will touch on the impacts of generational poverty - on students, families, and communities - and provide specific career development strategies recognizing these students' unique circumstances and needs.
- VIEW and the New Academic & Career Plan Portfolio*
Beginning in the 2018-2019 school year, students will begin the development of an Academic and Career Plan Portfolio (ACPP) in elementary grades to include information about interests, values such as dependability and responsibility, and skills supporting decisions about their future interests and goals. Discover VIEW resources to add to this portfolio including planning notes, class projects, interest inventory results, awards, recognition, and other information related to the academic and career plan portfolio.
*Please note this session was presented during the 2017 workshop season, but due to high demand, we are offering this session again during the 2018 workshop season.
- Career Town and Kids Search: Interactive Career Connections to the SOLs and ACP
Career Town and Kids Search: Rediscover the two most popular interactive career exploration programs on the VIEW website. During this session you will explore the updated Kids Search and Career Town, learn how to integrate it into the classroom curriculum to meet academic SOLs, enhance career days, and tackle those ACPP requirements while meeting the career counseling standards. Career Town activity guides and manuals will be provided, along with a detailed exploration of the enhanced features of the kids search for students, including resources for teachers and counselors.
- The Organized School Counselor
This session connects VIEW's resources to the Academic & Career Plan Portfolio (ACPP), Academic & Career Plan (ACP), and Virginia School Counseling Standards. Select the best methods to keep track of meeting requirements, documenting and evaluating career development activities, and demonstrating accountability from personalized planning sheets, graphic organizers, checklists, and rubrics. Sort it, plan it, implement it… create a manageable counseling plan that works for YOU!
Fall 2018 Workshops Series
8 Workshops will be offered across the state of Virginia
- Choose 2 out of 4 sessions.
- All workshops will be held from 7:30AM-12PM. In accordance with Virginia's Licensure Renewal Manual, p. 11, we will provide 4 hours of in-classroom training during this Professional Conference.
- Participants will earn 5 professional development points for completing 4 hours of training.
- Partial credit will not be available
- Some sessions may fill up faster than others
- All sessions apply to grades K-8
- Virginia Career VIEW will be providing light refreshments in the morning to include, coffee, juice, water, and assorted breakfast snacks. We will not provide lunch.
- Cost: Free
- Sessions are held in computer labs / classrooms
- For all workshop locations: We encourage everyone to bring a laptop computer and a flash drive to the workshop.
- Registering online:
- After registering for a workshop an initial email confirmation will be sent
- Approximately one week prior to the workshop a reminder email will be sent including
- Parking information
- Facilities information
- A certificate of completion will be provided at the conclusion of each workshop
Fall 2018 Workshops
View the Fall 2018 Workshop Schedule and Register Online.
- Fall 2018 Workshop Flier
- Print this flier to give others workshop information
- Send this flier as a pdf attachment to others
- Post this flier as a pdf on a website
- Note: registration is online only
- Workshop Materials
- VIEW workshop materials for each session - to be posted at the start of workshop season
- Print or send electronic copies of workshop materials
- View / Change Workshop Information
Cancel or change workshop.
- View or modify existing user account
- Change Password
- Update Contact Information
- Request an Outreach
Request a Virginia Career VIEW Outreach Coordinator for an on-site event,
meeting, or training
Virginia Career VIEW Information Line 1-800-542-5870
( Only within the state of Virginia )
( Only within the state of Virginia )